Rebecca and Anthony’s wedding in Rhodes

We flew to Rhodes on Monday 24th June and then travelled onwards to Lindos. The weather was glorious; 34 degrees C, cloudless skies and azure sea. Friday 28th June, we rose at 5.30am to watch the sun rise over the Acropolis from our balcony. An awesome sight coupled with the chorus of crickets, donkeys and goats.

A sight I will never forget. We had a busy day ahead. Becky and Anthony’s wedding day! Becky and Anthony have been together as long as she has worked for Jo and I. We couldn’t miss this special event.

The wedding was to be at Kolympia 40 minutes away. We were staying at the next door hotel in Kolympia so we went there early and put on our wedding outfits  in comfort. At ten we arrived at the venue and met with Becky and Anthony’s parents and friends. Samantha was there too. Anthony arrived looking tanned and handsome and waited patiently for his bride. When she finally arrived Becky looked radiant, like a princess. Lots of people at the resort came to watch. Feel sure folks thought they were a celebrity couple!

After the ceremony we had a short break and I went back to our hotel and had a shower. When I got back we were all taken to a jetty where a charming boat was waiting to take us up the coast for a forty minute ride to Mario’s restaurant where the reception was to be.

This was situated on the beach with a canopy so the Mediterranean breeze could enter.

We had the meal with traditional Greek music in the background. Then there were the speeches. These were great fun, and we learned a little more about our Becky as a child from her Dad and some funny tales about Anthony from the best man. After the meal as the sun went down over the hills there was music and dancing. Some modern music but memorably a Greek dance group in traditional dress entertained us with their athleticism we all joined in with some Greek dancing. Becky also had fun breaking some plates in the traditional Greek style.

What a great night. At the end of the day we were taken by bus back to the hotel where there was food and drinks laid on. A few of us stayed up and talked by candlelight in a little marquee specially laid on.

After midnight we went back to our hotel for a good nights sleep after a day we will never forget.

Joe Rawcliffe